Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    There's gold in them thare hills.....

    March 5, 2022 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    So today was a shorter ride but we had to deal with a hill and that was a challenge.
    We started the day without rushing - packed our overnight bags and left them in the pump house for picking up later in the day.
    Mary says we started at 10:25 and we were off heading towards Lawrence, it was later that we realised that the climb began immediately and it was steady until we had a steep climb which ended at a long tunnel - it was clear that there was more to that hill but the railways decided to build a tunnel and we were grateful for that. And then we began a gradual decline which made the trail more comfortable and more fun.
    The trail was not a picturesque as the first day - riding alongside the road often and skirting the edges of farms.
    We arrived just after 12:00 and stopped at a cafe for coffee and fresh muffins. We struck up a conversation with a couple sitting outside the cafe and mentioned that we were doing next Lake Dunstan and it turned out that the husband was the guy who was attacked by the ram - we heard the story in full and saw his injuries.
    We decided to go for walk around Lawrence and then picked up our cars, loaded the bikes and off back to our chalet at Alexandra - stopping off at Millars Flat for lunch (and of course another coffee).
    Got to our chalet and unpacked - Mary, Robyn and I went for a swim to cool off and generally relaxed.
    Bob & and went back into town to get stuff for a bbq dinner and a bottle of Pinot Noir.
    It's been a pretty good day and a relaxing evening.
    Read more