Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Clutha is gold

    March 4, 2022 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    In short the Clutha trail is great. More interesting trail - fantastic scenery.
    We started early - we are getting pretty slick at packing and organizing cases, bikes and cars.
    Bob and I drove to Beaumont with our overnight bags - we are staying at the old Beaumont School - it is set up for homestays.
    And back to Roxburgh - final packing - cars staying at Roxburgh - Shebikeshebikes drive them to Lawrence where we will finish tomorrow. Mary and Robyn picked up our lunch order from 103 The Store.
    We left Roxburgh just after 9:30 and immediately the trail was different - bends, corners, uphill and down.
    The sun soon broke through the clouds and the temp warmed up.
    This was a great trail and I think we all enjoyed it - we took in the scenery and stopped to take photos of it.
    We stopped at Miller's Flat for coffee and cake - this was a good break at about half way.
    It was in the 2nd half we experienced the uphill trails and there was some tough biking, but we all made it even though there was some walking.
    We stopped for a breather, then decided to have lunch under a magnificent chestnut tree - sitting on the grass eating our sandwiches while a bellbird sang and flew about us.
    We did some more hills and stopped at a grave site where "Someone's darling" was buried - a interesting story about a seemingly unknown person was buried in the 1860s.
    Then on to Beaumont and the school.
    A cuppa sitting in the sun - our sticky buns. A little nap, washed the bikes, did some washing and had the most wonderful shower ever.
    We walk down to the local pub and joined a largish crowd of locals and workers. All four of us ordered the whitebait with chips and salad.
    It will be early to bed tonight and a leisurely start in the morning - only a 20km ride to Lawrence.
    There is a shortage of photos currently - I have lots on my camera, but can't transfer them here, Bob has some on his phone but comms are poor in Beaumont.
    Just to repeat today's message - it was a bloody good ride!
    Read more