Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    We're going to stay here for a bit....

    March 9, 2022 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 20 °C

    We decided today to stay another day and negotiated that with the house owner - we figured that we could be quite tired tomorrow evening and getting up and on the road might be a struggle - and after all we are on holiday and we are old too and we can do what we like.
    And today was a good example of people like us - we had a relaxed start to the day and decided to get in a warm up ride, seeing that is about 4 or 5 days since we last rode our bikes. So we geared up and drove down to an are near Kawarau Bridge where a trail started - Kelvin Peninsula trail - it was about 13 or 14 km - a good warm up. Great trail that rode out to the point near a very posh golf course - a windy trail through trees at times. It was pretty hot when we finished so we were thirsty and need of a rest when we returned home.
    At about 3 we decided to head out for lunch and Gran lead us to a new housing area and we stumbled upon a pub/restaurant. We had Blue Cod Tacos and Mary and Bob niçoise salad.
    A beer and coffee and we felt pretty good - bought two pizzas to takeaway and they were our tea.
    Then it was home for a wee nap,
    Later we went to buy some petrol - just to keep our tanks full - and got some groceries, that included some snacks for the ride tomorrow.
    I had a call this afternoon from Roy Fraser who is with a group of riders from CHB (mostly Rotarians) and they are riding tomorrow too - and it turns out we are starting from the same end so we will get together on the start line - I think for many of them it will be the last we see of them before we finish.
    We will need to gather our things together tonight - early start in the morning - a little over an hours drive in the morning.
    Read more