Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Yesterday was Saturday, right?

    November 13, 2022 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    A day late but never mind. Loading this from the balcony of the Duke of Marlborough in Russell. It's been a balmy 25 degrees since we arrived at about 3.
    So back to Saturday, it was like most Saturday mornings - breakfast, coffee and Wordle - except there was some expectation for a great day. Mark was about to head off for golf - he was in the final of his clubs match play champs, BGP were all set for a big day at Riccarton and the Black Ferns were playing their final.
    Mark left for his game, Robyn and I headed to Albany for some clothes shopping for me and Penny had some shopping to do.
    We went to Farmers and it was my lucky day - a pair of Levis, 2 pair of chinos, 2 pair of shorty pajamas and t's to go with them.
    Then we me Penny for lunch at a super cafe near the mall - lunch and coffee.
    I left them to do more shopping and I set out for home to settle in for the races, then Nick text me to say the races had been abandoned - what? it sunny down there. But it was true and what shall I do now - so I gathered my camera gear and headed down to Orewa to take some photos.
    I got a text to say that Mark had won his match (on the last hole) and we waited for him to get home.
    It was time to open a bottle of Coleraine and we enjoyed that and talked about his win and the day.
    And we settled in to watch the big game - and you all know what a great game it was. BGP decided the week was finished for them and that $500,000 profit was probably a good result - and they paid us out.
    Saturday was a pretty good day.
    Sunday Penny left early for work and we had breakfast, had coffee and did Wordle, slowly packed and hit the road around 10:30. Nice warm day, with clouds about - the traffic heading north was flowing pretty well and we had no problems. Went through some heavy showers and we decided not to deviate off the main road until we got to Ruakaka when on a whim we turned right. Got down to the beach, got out went down to the beach and it started to lightly rain.
    Had lunch in Whangarei in a nice cafe that Robyn found (which was part of a roastery).
    Next stop Opua where we caught the ferry barge across to Russell.
    So that's it - our room is just lovely and sitting out on the balcony in such balmy weather is pretty hard to beat. Have been for a walk around town and sorted out a few places to eat.
    Dinners in 30 minutes so need to get going.
    Read more