Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Don't go to Kerikeri.....

    November 15, 2022 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    We got up, not too early and readied to pack and check out of the that lovely hotel. The day was overcast and packed the car and drove to a cafe called OSO - having pastries and great coffee. It had 60's decor and we sat on an old couch and enjoyed our breakfast.
    Then down to the ferry and soon in Paihia - the ferry ride is so efficient - drive on, wave your credit card near their tablet, drive off - so easy.
    We stopped in Paihia for a wander and see if the place had changed since the last time we were there, but it was very quiet despite the fact we saw a cruise ship in the bay - we also thought it looked a bit run down.
    In the car and I wanted to see the Haruru Falls and stopped there only to find the main viewing area was nearly built out!
    We made the mistake of driving into Kerikeri - wanted to have a wander there and taste some chocolate - but there were major road constructions taking place and the main road was one lane - so traffic in and around the town moved at snails pace and we made a few wrong turns getting out.
    Eventually we got going (having to travel SH10 as sections of SH1 are closed) and decided to stop at Mangonui for lunch. Found a really nice kitchen style cafe that was busy and had a salad each. We sat outside under a sail - each table had a water pistol to keep the seagulls at bay - I found that you only needed to point the pistol at them and they were off. Had a walk down to the wharf and headed off.
    This part of the country is beautiful with bush, forests, beaches and rivers - very pleasant drive. Stopped at Kaitaia at Pak n Save to get some groceries for our stay at Ahipara and then drove the 15km to our new house - we are here for 4 nights.
    We are staying in the top story of a large '90s house with a spectacular view (although it would have been a 180 degree view before a recent house was built in front). We will be happy here.
    Went down to the beach for a walk - it was overcast and quite pleasant.
    The owner says the stars are spectacular here as there is no street lights - but we will need a clear sky too!
    Tomorrow we plan to drive to Cape Reinga as Wednesday looks likely to be the best day weather wise while we are here - so looking forward to that. We have made contact with Syd and Annie King who are tripping around these parts - we will probably catch up with them in the next day or two.
    Read more