Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    The Longest Day

    March 5 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    We arrived in Tasmania just before 11:00 local time and we were feeling very tired - not much sleep at Nick's, the usual excitement I suppose - had to be at the airport by 4:30. We were late leaving Auckland as the flight before us out of the same gate, was going to Rarotonga and a number of passengers were late. And had to wait on our plane on arrival at Hobart because a flight from Melbourne arrived shortly before us and they didn't want to mix international passengers with common old Aussies. And then the car rental place was verrrrry slow at processing and we were the last.
    So not really moaning, they just made the day feel long.
    We chanced finding a place for food and coffee in an outlet area nearby and had a very welcome toasted sandwich each with an average, but welcome coffee. We bought some supplies there and set out to find our homestay. We got a little lost and arrived at seven mile bay so got out for a walk along the beach - we both agreed the sea air just removed the stress and tiredness we were feeling. We weren't far from our house and soon arrived.
    Essentially we are in a new area for new rural properties - our place is set in a typical aussie rural scene.
    We were told about and earlier met a bandicoot called Gavin, see photo, and has just come up to our window as I write this. We sat outside while the sun went down and watched/listened to all the birds settling in for the night.
    As I ready to post this there are rabbits on the lawn!
    Read more