Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Snake Hill

    March 21 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Our plan today was to get in another walk and when we woke it was overcast and there were showers after we had had breakfast, done ablutions and packed up the camper. We were feeling better than yesterday and thought we’d get some coffee and go down to the Interpretation centre where there were also some short walks.
    We sat and watched an excellent video about the park, some history and the present day. Wonderful images and video.
    Then we went to do a short walk that went around an area of typical rainforest bush with fern, pencil pines and some gums. It was called the Enchanted Forest and it sure did look like it.
    By then it had stopped showering, and we had a meeting and agreed that we should do the walk we had planned. Interpretation Centre to Snake Hill – our last chance to see a Wombat.
    So the walk was 100% all along a board walk – just amazing that they would go to so much effort to look after the natural habitat. Lots of Wombat poos, but no live animals.
    The walk did snake around a bit visually, but the key word was hill, and we did some climbing, but the views were spectacular – lots of open ground with tuffty plants (see the images). The sun was mostly out now, and it was pleasant.
    That took just over an hour and at the end when we climbed back up to the road for the ride home, we were presented with over 100 steps I reckon. As we got to the top few steps Robyn said, “Fuck you Wombats” and that was the last word on that.
    I have no photos of the 2nd day in the park – didn’t think I’d need my camera so left it in the van!
    We got our ride back to the main centre, got into our van ate some chocolate and headed west to Strahan.
    The first half of the road was amazing – good wide road sealed and no patches. The last half as good, but good surface, winding road – up and down. We stopped at a nothing town and had lunch it was sunny and warm. We had peanut butter in wraps, jam and cheese – some almonds too.
    We had a bit of excitement at a town called Zeehan – we came to the outskirts of town and there were some road works – we need to turn left here to take the road to Strahan – there were “stop go” people and we went to follow a vehicle going our way when I realised I had to turn hard left around a grader (they are big when you get beside them). One of the workmen came over and proceeded to guide us around the grader. So I was trying to dodge the blade and avoid falling into a drain on my right – when looking out my mirror on the left I could see the van inching towards the graders front wheel. At that point I stopped – the worker helper I had suggested to his mates that they move the grader – but no they decided the bast plan was for us to backup and drive over their freshly graded surface. And all was well.
    We got to Strahan and checked in the temp was 26c then and we change to cooler clothes and rested for a while. We had little food for dinner so decided to visit the supermarket, which believe it or not was a 15 minute walk with a bloody hill at the end of the walk.
    Dinner tonight was lamb chops, mashed potatoes, beans, peas and carrots. Dessert was sliced banana, broken pieces of Arnotts Scotch Fingers, yoghurt and raspberry jam.
    It is very windy now and the van is rocking a bit – tomorrow we do a river cruise – the weather report says fine morning and rain from the afternoon.
    Read more