Satellit
Vis på kort
  • Dag 23

    We Got Lucky

    27. marts, Australien ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    Having spent the last 4 days watching Mt Wellington, sometimes in cloud or in rain – today it looked clear and when we got to the top just after 12:00 it was bathed in beautiful sunshine and the view was stunning.
    We got up at retired peoples time and took our time, had a coffee downtown and set out – the drive was cross country on the very familiar winding narrow roads climbing all the time, until we got to the turnoff to the National Park and then we really began to climb – 12km up. The road was narrow and there was a steady stream of faster traffic coming back down. I had to pull over constantly – remain alert.
    We got to the top – 1,270 metres above sea level – and that is pretty high up. We found it interesting looking at all of the places we had visited, both while at Acton Park and our trips out of the Huon Valley - the vista stretched for miles. This was our last opportunity to make it to the mount and it was the best day in the last week. So lucky.
    There was quite a crowd there and we joined them – lots of viewing platforms and walks around the rocky areas. Visitors here hike and cycle too. We saw on the way up many people preparing for a hike through the park and we saw hikers and families arriving via these trails.
    There was a heap of large rocks with a trig tower on top – everyone wanted to take a photo there – posing with cellphone in hand!
    We spent about 2 hours there then set off down – easier drive down hill and stopped at a tavern at the bottom. Lunch was beef pie with potato and gravy and a can of beer. I wasn’t sure about it when they arrived, but it was so yummy. We sat there soaking up the sun and relaxing.
    Then back for home. Stopped for coffee in town and left when they closed up for the day.
    So we have done our online Customs Declarations, talked about the programme for tomorrow so that we get to the airport on time. Had a light dinner using up the bits and pieces we have left.
    While I was writting this a Wallaby came right up to out glass door, I reached for my camera and it was off, but only as far as the short path, but I got my shot.
    So, 23 days have come and gone – I think we can say we have had plenty of experiences!
    Robyn has done a great job researching the highlights and having that knowledge has been great. She chose two great places to stay – Acton Park was close to some super beaches which we used to relax and get to Port Arthur. Here in the Huon valley has been great too - lots of rural areas to explore and easy access to downtown Hobart.
    Find Penguins signing off.
    Læs mere