Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 76

    Sleep deprived and boiled to death

    September 15, 2019 in Russia ⋅ ⛅ 1 °C

    We have arrived in Irkutsk to a beautiful morning, slightly frosty but bathed in sunshine.
    That was the positive bit.
    We have arrived totally sleep deprived and boiled alive as the heater on the train was cranked up all night without an ounce of respite or fresh air.
    The trip started well despite being in the older style carriage again- knowing the nice ones were attached to the front of the train.
    We settled in, had a coffee, watched the iPad and then had a gourmet meal of cup a soup and egg sarnies which went down a treat.
    9pm we settled into our top bunks and all was well... and that’s where it ended.
    2 mins later 2 huge Russian men came and occupied the bottom bunks ( thanks Real Russia for booking us female only carriages - not)
    To cut a v v long night short they not only snored all night they absolutely stank!!! This smell was then magnified by the bloody heater on high!!
    I watched 2 episodes of Bletchley Circle and K was on death con delta security alert!!
    At 3 am I went and stood in the connecting carriage where it was cooler before heading back into the rank cabin for more Netflix.
    Anyway we have arrived and r sitting in Metro Cafe having a coffee waiting to be picked up for our 2 day tour to Olkhon Island. May the good weather last.
    Read more