Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 186

    First day skiing at Chatel in France

    January 3, 2020 in France ⋅ ☁️ 3 °C

    Lowena kitted us out in her spare ski gear, packed us in the car and drive us across the border into France for our first day skiing in 10 yrs. K wasn’t feeling great but felt well enough to give it a go as it was such a stunning day.
    First stop was the Crepy ski hire shop where we managed to get some boots and skis fitted and hired for a relatively cheap price (€32 for both of us), god ski boots are as uncomfortable as I remember- surely someone can design more comfortable ski boots these days??
    Lowena found a great car park right at the beginners slope and before we knew it we were ungainly snowplowing down the v v gentle learners slope. That conquered easily we made a total hash of the “magic carpet” lift with both of us activating our beginners lift pass before being able to get ourselves through the turnstile!
    I managed to slip around the side, get my skis back on and get on the lift.
    Meanwhile k got in carrying her skis with lowena behind her. Next thing I knew the attendant had shouted at them to get off at which point Lowena fell over!! It was v funny seeing she is a v good skier!!
    Finally they emerged and we decided to move to a harder slope with a pommel/ drag lift.
    More good skiing ensued so next it was a coffee and then up on the chair left for a harder beginner slope.
    It was such a stunning day and thoroughly enjoyable but not wanting to push ourselves too hard on day 1 we returned our boots and skis all v happy about 2.30pm.
    Whilst we had to wait for the supermarket to open we went for a coffee/ wine in a bar in the town before picking up food and wine in the well stocked french supermarche.
    Back home it was lunch out in the sun on the deck before a basic dinner of lasagne and salad. Surprisingly the legs weren’t too bad so there is hope for tmrw’s skiing. Great days on the slopes!!
    Read more