Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 242

    The World Explorer

    February 28, 2020 in Argentina ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    I am sorry in advance for this post- we are wankers.
    Basically both K and I knew that in Ushuaia the boats often sell off the last cabins they haven’t filled at very discount prices.
    We both wanted to go back down to Antarctica but couldn’t justify the cost/ portion of the budget to return to somewhere we had both been. However we had planned to come down to Ushuaia and try our luck.
    Lady Luck hit us instead. I had emailed a couple of local travel agents with our planned dates and requests for any super discounted last minute trips.
    To cut a long story short Freestyle Adventure sent us a deal we couldn’t refuse - a 19 day cruise to Falklands, South Georgia and the Antarctic Peninsula for a 75% discounted price.... but we had to leave NZ 3 weeks earlier than planned. It was an offer we couldn’t refuse.
    I have posted a couple of links to the boat (please don’t hate us!!)- we couldn’t believe our luck when we saw what we would be sailing on!!
    Seeing her yesterday docked at the wharf was even better as she looks amazing.
    What was even more amazing was the Plancius, the boat K had previously been on with Marcus to go to the ice was docked right behind the World Explorer!! Poor K remembered her as a much grander boat than the fishing boat she looked like docked between the World Explorer and the Silver Cloud ( K’s words not mine)

    We can not afford WiFi on the boat ( someone posted it cost $200 usd for 4gb) so luckily for everyone we cannot post for the 19 days when we are away.
    The bad news is I will draft the posts and post them when we return to land hopefully on March 17th.
    Excited is now not the word!! We are now jus worried we might come to like luxury cruising.
    Ps we r in a Veranda Suite and we think 502 at the bow!!

    https://youtu.be/Pba5BRWFPCk

    https://youtu.be/L9PqZC6ibB4

    Itinerary
    https://www.polarcruises.com/antarctica/ships/p…
    Read more