Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Day 6: Zagreb

    July 14, 2019 in Croatia ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Today is our well needed rest day after a very short night in the train station in Innsbruck! We first start by washing our clothes (by hand, so hipster) which has accumulated particular odors after all the humidity in Austria...

    We then hit the tram and head to the city center. Our first impression is that it is very calm and there are very few tourists for a European capital in summer. But that suits us well, it's nice to get a break from the crowds. We first start by walking through Lenuci's Horseshoe, a beautiful row of connected parks and historical buildings near the train station. We go from alley to alley, park to park and really start enjoying Zagreb's unconventional, heterogeneous architecture, yet refreshing at the same time.

    We find this chubby mutt in one of the parks and start playing with him by throwing his ball (when he is generous enough to let us take it). He seems to love running after it, but not for too long. He reminds us of a seal when he lays down.

    Mikel is mesmerized by the botanical garden and tries to identify the tree species with his new app which is not quite as useful as "Ok Google", but I let him do his thing.

    We then go out to lunch at the Spanish time, so 5 pm, in this very cute interior garden. We each order a different štrukli, a Croatian dish with homemade pasta and cheese, that burns our tongues but leaves our bellies delighted.

    Our next stop is the parc Maksimir where we enjoy the evening light and make friends with turtles in the lake, to which we feed some wild strawberries I found.

    We close off the evening by wandering the old town in search for hidden courtyards that are open to public during the Dvorišta festival. We quickly stumble upon the perfect one and decide to stay. We enjoy the live music as well as the panoramic view of the city from the garden while sipping our glass of diluted wine that our last 20 kn (1€) that allowed us to buy!
    Read more