Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Day 7: Bled

    July 15, 2019 in Slovenia ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    After leaving Ljubljana, we hop onto the old graffiti-covored train that will lead us to this small town in the middle of the mountains of northern Slovenia: Bled Jesenice. We arrive towards 8 PM, which lets us more than enough time to enjoy the view of the lake (it's truly breathtaking, we feel in a fairy tale) and also find a hidden place to camp.

    We decide to head in the opposite direction of the lake, to get away from civilization, and take a small road that goes by a farm. We find ourselves mistakenly walking through the farm grounds and encounter this bear (Slovenian dogs for the locals) that tries to tear us apart, luckily he is tied to a chain.

    We decide it is better to find a another spot and take this tiny path into the forest. An old man with wild flowers in his hand crosses our path and tries to communicate with us, first in Slovenian then in German. We manage to understand "haus" and thank this druid for indicating to us what we think might be our house for the night. Further down the path, we indeed find a small shack. Unfortunately, it is filled with old wood, so we can't sleep in it, but we decide it will be perfect to hide our bags the next day while we explore the lake.

    We leave our stuff and head back down to the lake in hope enjoying the sunset before setting camp. The area is quite touristic, but astonishingly beautiful with the Julian Alps surrounding this Gatorade blue lake (as my family would call it), which makes it well worth the visit. We finally head back to our camp, guided by the light of our headlamps.
    Read more