Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    On train to Toronto

    August 20, 2016 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    We caught the train at Jasper, with later departure about 5.30pm. A lovely meal was served, a bit sad as this was the 17th and I was dining with strangers. That first night on board I didn't sleep well and dozed most of the next day. Last night I woke when the train stopped at Winnipeg and was able to get a climpses of it at 0130. Awoke again about 0430 to beautiful moon scape reflected in the water . Shower at 6.00. Again a new experience. Find the temp, find the water, push the button and hope. By the time you think it is right it turns off. Today they overbooked the non sleeping area and don't have enough seats for a couple of hours. Doesn't affect sleepers thank goodness.

    Scenery today fills the song we had on the bus about trees and rocks ad rocks and trees and water. Continuous lakes as we cross into Ontario. Lots of trees and occasional rocks as we go through railway cut outs. The trains for freight are incredibly long. Travelling at speed it can take 5 minutes nearly for them to pass. Traffic is heavy and so we are running about 2 to 3 hours late. They hope to pick up some time ever along the way.

    What interesting people you meet. This morning was talking to a kiwi who is biking around Canada. He has been away since June and done Alaska and across the country. This train trip is probably his only non biking part of his journey. His family live in Napier and Hahei. He also voiced what I was thinking. How blessed we are in New Zealand to have the wealth of scenery and quick access to it.

    Well, today we arrive in Toronto. A three night journey across part of Canada. It has been a break and I am pleased the rate of travel was forcibly slowed down. The Canadian people are wonderful, friendly, helpful. This amazing country seems to produce an amazing people.
    Read more