Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Singapore

    March 5, 2023 in Singapore ⋅ 🌧 24 °C

    A nice slow start today with the usual breakfast downstairs where it was mad crazy busy. Even the usual chilled staff were running around like headless chickens. The food stations were chaotic and madly being restocked as people were devouring what they could. To tell the truth I'm glad that from here on breakfast isn't included so we'll be having a nice quiet coffee and muesli in our room.

    The plan today was to go to the Singapore Botanic Gardens to see the National Orchid Garden. We were going to team this with Andy's old expat stomping ground - Holland Park - which we didn't actually get to.

    However. An MRT station was right at the gardens so we started with a nice 1.5km walk through the gardens to the Orchid Garden. We were chuffed because our NSW Seniors Card was honoured and we only paid SIN3 to get in instead of SIN15 per person. Winning!!

    The orchids were magnificent and only got better as we moved through the place. Banks and banks of orchids and little niches and by-paths with different types of orchids and settings. I've never seen so many sizes, shapes, colours or patterns. Magnifiecent is an understatement. I don't know how many photos Mick and I took but it must have been hundreds. I loved that almost all of the paths were accessible, and even for people who had a visual disability could still walk through and at least hear the rustling and insects and smell the plants - and that was for the whole botanic gardens. A truly beautiful surprise.

    A long 1.5 km walk back in the rain and heat to the MRT and 2 stations to Newton Circus where there's one of the oldest and famous hawker stall areas. A bit expensive but delicious. Again, chicken and port satays, fried rice and 2 large beers. Yum.

    Back for a quick mooch through Bugis markets and then back to the hotel to the pool.

    We are having a night in because we've eaten so much today.
    Read more