Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Singapore

    March 6, 2023 in Singapore ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    It was very nice this morning not having to face the crowds at breakfast, and probably a lot healthier becasue we're not indulging in the trough of plenty. So breakfast was muesli flakes we picked up yesterday at the supermarket - in the stainless steel bowls I bought in Kalang and the plastic soup spoons I snaffled from Newton Circuis yesterday. Also, some lovely fresh mangosteen we got at the Tekka Centre in Little India the other day. And 2 coffees :)

    It was an easy walk down through the colonial part of the city where we are staying near. Our walk took us to the Asian Civilisations Museum down near the Singapore River past St Andrews church, the high court, the cricket club, the Victoria Hall and concert hall. Such lovely old buildings.

    Then into one of my favourite museums in the world. A small but amazing collection of Asian art and artifacts. And a very 'negotiable' space. Like it's 3 floors and you can see everything in a few hours. Some of my favourite parts were artifacts from the wreck of the Tang from the 800s; the tribal gallery; the jewellery gallery and the Buddhism collection. What I like about it also is that it's very eclectic. So, whilst you go into the Angkor museum in Siem Reap it's all Angor carvings, but here it's a sweep of everything in Asia. Defs a tick place!

    Having been to the museum we got 10% off in the coffee shop - it still cost a lot for 2 beef hamburgers and a tipple each but we figure it's the only 'restaurant' we've been to here so justified the cost.

    After lunch with our view of the Singapore River we crossed the old pedestrian bridges to the Fullerton (very grey) and took some touristy shots of the old merlion statue- what memories :) We wanted to go on a Singapore River 40 minute harbour cruise but it was going to cost us SIN56 for 2 so bugger that (I dont know how she got that figure as it was advertised for 25PP :(

    A wander back to the hotel for an hour before a venture out to some of the shopping centres - nothing to report.

    Back to the room again for a quick drinkie before we got the MRT to Gardens by the Bay to watch theit 15 minute nightly light and sound show. It was very beautiful and really nice that it was free! I lay down for a portion of it and was in the moment. There were a lot of people there but you wouldn't know it. After all the rain it was just a really nice and warm night with a slight breeze. Perfect!
    Read more