Satellite
  • Day 12

    Kabaka's Palace

    November 15, 2019 in Uganda ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    As it was Felisha's last day we decided we'd go to Kabaka's Palace, and be proper tourists. As we arrived we were told that the king was going to arrive soon, which is unusual because he doesn't live there so only visits for events. We waited around a bit to see if he was going to come soon, while the guide told us about the history and some information about the marriage ceremony here, it's all very confusing! It then became obvious he wasn't going to come for a while so we walked around a bit and then to the torture chamber. It was used by Idi Amin in the 70s, it was built by the Israeli arms for Idi Amin as an armoury, but he changed it into a torture chamber. In total 25,000 people died in the chamber in the 7 years it was used; in total he killed 800,000 people in the 7 years, which was 4% of the population of Uganda at the time. It was a very eerie atmosphere, with writing and handprints on the wall from the people being killed and the relatives of those people. This part of history is why the king doesn't live there. We walked back up and saw the King's car driving past into the palace, this then meant we couldn't go in to take a photo of the outside.

    It was then back to downtown where I had to say goodbye to Felisha. I grabbed lunch at the Watoto cafe before Aggrey picked me up and took me go Bbira for just over an hour to say goodbye and thank you to everyone there.

    Then back to the guest house for dinner with all my gecko friends and to bed.
    Read more