Satelital
Mostrar en el mapa
  • Día 15

    The Lighthouse and our journey to it

    13 de septiembre de 2023, Irlanda ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    It was a wet, wet day with strong winds forecast for later (gulp). We waited on Achill for our ferry to arrive, dressed in full waterproof gear whilst eyeing the space left on the jetty (not much) and using it to estimate the size of the boat that we were entrusting our lives to. There was only one date available for this trip and that was today, when the Dr was visiting the island, So whatever the weather, if we were going then today was the day. We sat ready in our warm van and our little boat powered into view through the chop of the waves. All aboard (Dr and two students included) and we set off. Our crew were very cheerful (one was wearing a pirate hat) but after Clare accidentally convinced them that we were from Romania, conversation was a little stilted 😂. Seriously though they were great and their confidence as we headed out into the bigger waves was reassuring enough that we enjoyed the trip out. Now the trip back... was also fine apart from the first few minutes as we left the harbour. The stronger wind had whipped up the sea and we rolled about between what seemed like some pretty big waves that we couldn't take our eyes off as they quickly closed on the boat and lifted us high into the air. Once properly clear of the harbour the skipper gunned the engine and we sped home. We loved it, but it'll be a while before we get on a boat again 😁.
    The goal of the visit to Clare Island (apart from the fact it's called Clare) was to see the Lighthouse. One of Clare's friend's had told us that her grandmother had lived there in 1908, her father was the lighthouse keeper!
    Leer más