Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 40

    Day 40 - Buffalo Bay/George

    April 24, 2022 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Sunday morning 24th April was a rude awakening.

    Saturday evening with Ghislain and Bollie at our camp ended some how, and the connection with Sunday morning was vague! Somewhere in my head lay a few empty bottles of 'Windhoek' too many, as did the unaccountable bottles of wine, Karen and Bollie dispatched, in their's.

    The early start to the dawn was coloured by (and I'm not sure of the adjective), but let's go with 'Fifty Shades of Grey'. On the full length of the horizon, and my eyesight was surely blurred, were ominous cloud formations. Though we did have rain in various intervals during the evening, the world looked dank, but without threat. The horizon was indistinct, blotches of other menacing rain clouds and smudged with mist rising off the ocean. Quite awesome!Several shades of grey from off-white to thunderous black! We let this morning sky churn, until it had decided not to rain anymore and as the sun found it's way through and burnt off the lingering weather it quickly dried out our tents, all ready to be stuck.

    Bollie's birthday was today, to which Karen insisted we would be there. To be exact, our entire journey in this past week was planned on this happening. We arrived in George from Buffalo Bay, via Sedgefield, Wilderness and Victoria Bay, shortly after midday.

    Irrespective of Saturday night and its repercussions early on Sunday morning, Windhoek and Red Wine was again an obvious choice and preferred substance to a delicious Mexican Soup, Bollie had started preparing. From when we walked into their beautiful home, unhitched and parked the caravan, we could smell the oodles of onion, tomato, garlic, chilly and freshly chopped coriander. Along with Avo and spoonfuls of Cream Cheese and freshly baked 'doorstop' slices of bread and butter, we settled down just in time to watch the Italian Emola Grand Prix.

    Although George as a city, is a far cry from the 'old PW Botha' city it was in my army days, Ghislain and Bollie are by far the highlight and main attraction! And so we spent the night.

    Love, Peace and Light!

    M&K
    👍💐
    Read more