Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 68

    Day 68 - Lüderitz/Richtersveld

    May 22, 2022 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Early this morning and well before sunrise, the throb of seriously large diesel engines 'chugged' seriously large fishing boats out of the Lüderitz harbour.

    We needed to hit the road early, to make the long return journey back via Aus=>Rosh Pinah=> onto Sendelingsdrift Border Post on the edge of the Trans-Frontier Park of Ai-Ai's/ Richtersveld. On our arrival at Rosh Pinah, we were delayed at the ‘Engen’ fuel station by a motorcycle gang of at least 20 bikers, all filling up!

    Shortly after our departure, there is were I lost any hope in humanity! The turn off to Senderlingsdrift clearly indicated in bold standard green and white lettering, followed up moments later by a brown and white board, the fact that the pont across the river back into RSA was ahead. We took the turn and drove all the way on a horrific gravel road only 30 odd kilometers but at least an hour.

    We made good time however all the way to the Orange River, to enter the RSA, only to find that the Pont was not operating due to the flooded Orange.... no one there in sight! Not a sign, not a love letter, nothing! For the first time in 4 days, Karen could make comm's and 'Googled', for info in this regard… it was “CLOSED”until further notice!

    We had to drive all the way back another hour wasted, then back to Oranjamund/Alex Bay all along the Orange River back to Sendelingsdrift again, but on the other side of the river😖 In real time we lost over three hours of precious daylight! In fact we actually lost an entire day, as we would have been able to get to the next camp, called ‘Potjiespram’ by nightfall, but we couldn’t!

    We just managed to slip under the Richtersveld gate before closing time. So here we are in the 'transit camp' called ‘Senderlingsdrift’ listening to the screaming and shouting of a live Football match.

    All-in-all not a memorable day here in Africa!

    Love, Peace and Light
    M&K
    👍🏻💐
    Read more