Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 78

    Day 78 - Augrabies Falls

    June 1, 2022 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    We left Ai/Ai's at just after 08:30, north east toward Grünau and via
    Karasburg to the Namibian and RSA Border at Ariamsvlei/Nakop. On the N10 towards Upington we turned south on a typical RSA gravel road 😖 from Lutzputs to Neushoek. Back west through Kakamas on the N14 and north again on the R359 to Augrabies Falls.

    Along all the roads we past giant 'Sociable Weaver' nests stacked on telephone poles, electricity poles and anything that resembles anything upright! At least when Telcom and Eskom have finally thrown in the towel, here in the Southern Kalahari there is still use for their unsightly poles!

    We checked in at the SANPARKS Reserve in Augrabies and at the same time booked for the next two nights at the 'Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park' (formerly the Kalahari/Gemsbok Park).

    Armed with a 'Buffelsfontein' RTD 'Branas and Cola', we walked the boardwalk to all the vantage points around the falls. Really so beautiful to see this in full-spuit!

    We arrived in time to pitch another 'one-night-stand' camp and took in the Reserve and Orange River in full flight down the Augrabies Gorge. Like the sea and Orange on previous nights, again the Orange River here in Augrabies gorge thundered down with a deafening roar, all night! Years ago Paul and I also visited here, only to witness a sorry little trickle in the days when the Gariep Dam hardly ever reached capacity. Now as you know, numerous sluice gates were opened up stream, and many other dams overflowing as a result of a very wet summer inland. The weather pattern that destroyed much of Durban and surrounds was also responsible for downpours over the entire catchment area.

    Now on this very trip of our's, we thankfully dodged all that excessive weather through the country and particularly in Kwa-Zulu Natal!

    On Wednesday night in Augrabies we spent the coldest night in the caravan, like ever! Karen's App indicated a low of 2° but mine was closer by two.... a low of 0°!!!

    FFS…. Freezing!!!!🥶🥶🥶

    Love, Peace and Light!

    M&K
    👍💐
    Read more