Satellite
  • Day 45

    Hello Obelisco

    June 11, 2018 in Argentina

    After so many unforgettable memories and experiences, our time in South America is drawing to a close. After our short time in Salta we had both grown very fond of the place, however we are now reaching the stage where our thoughts are inevitably turning towards home.

    This morning we packed our bags for the second last time. We had been told that our transfer would collect us from our hotel at 7.00 am and that is exactly what happened. A talkative lady walked boldly into the foyer of the hotel and called our names. She introduced herself as Natalie. Or at least that's what I think she said. We have now had so many different guides and drivers that I am starting to get my Jaecos, Raouls and Natalies all mixed together.

    We bundled our gear into the boot of the waiting car, while Natalie explained that it is illegal to carry luggage in the cabin of the vehicle. It seems a little strange where its common for whole families to crowd on board a single motorbike, for cars to highball down the freeways at 140 kph while the driver is happily chewing on cocoa leaves and for all cars to completely ignore double lines to be so particular about where you can put your suitcase. But of course, this is Argentina.

    We found ourselves at the airport in plenty of time and were quickly checked in. The security scan is cursory at best and soon we were seated on our LATAM flight for the 90 minute trip back to Buenos Aires. This was really the beginning of the long journey back to Australia for Paul and me.

    Ninety minutes (and a couple of sleeps) later our plane bounced to a halt, right on time at the Jorge Newberry Auroparque, situated almost in the centre of Buenos Aires. Once again, everything had gone according to plan. We left the plane and made our way to the baggage collection area. Soon the baggage started arriving. I looked out for my distinctive blue bag. People progressively collected their luggage and departed. Paul and I tried not to get concerned, even when the carousel stopped and the trapdoor locked. In all my travels I have never had my luggage go missing and I really hoped that this would not be the first.

    After about 10 minutes the belts started moving again and, to our eternal relief, both of our cases were aboard. All we needed now was a taxi. That was never going to be a problem since there was a tangle of them all fighting for passengers. We were bundled into one of them and charged 490 pesos (about $30) for the short trip to our hotel.

    The absolute centre of Buenos Aires is marked by a huge obelisk. This is the most distinctive sight of the entire city and our hotel was as close to the obelisk as it is possible to be. At least we would never have trouble finding our way home.

    After three nights in this mighty city our adventure will come to a close.
    Read more