Satellite
  • Day 19

    Booker T Washington/Andrew Johnson

    November 12, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    I woke up super early, before any visitor centers were open, so I took myself out to breakfast in a tiny Town in Virginia. It's weird dining alone. The wait staff is always extra friendly and attentive. Good food, way cheaper than Cali. Then I tried to go to the Blue Ridge Parkway vc but it was closed for the season. It was the 3rd one I saw that was closed already. So then I went to Booker T Washington National Monument. It was pretty cool. I knew nothing about who he was. The park was the plantation where he was born and enslaved until he was 8 and finally freed. Then he taught himself to read, went to schools, taught, advised presidents. Cool guy. Then I drove through Roanoke VA. I figured it's a pretty big town I should drive/walk around downtown. I instead ran into a giant parade. I forgot it was veterans day. So all of the downtown area was closed off and there was no parking. Seemed like it was ending so I just got back on the freeway. Such a big parade though. Old cars and tiny boys dressed like their grandpas. Seemed like a pretty cool city. Andrew Johnson wasn't as cool a dude as Booker. He bought Alaska and didn't get removed from office (which he shouldn't​ have been). So that's good but he was president during much of the Indian wars, veteoed the Civil Rights Act, and didn't get much done. To be fair it was a super rough time to lead a still very divided country. Anyway, not my favorite place. From there I went through Gatlinburg​ TN and into the Great Smoky mountains. I settled into my campsite and made a fire (for the first time ever by myself!). Then I hung out and read my book in front of a nice toasty fire. Pretty sprinkles.

    More adventures tomorrow!
    Read more