Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    06-21-20 Lindsey Lake hiking & camping

    June 21, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 86 °F

    Drove up to Lindsey Lake campground, it is the lake just up the road from Carr Lake (where we usually go). As we drove up Bowman Lake road (off of hwy 20) we were amazed to see so many cars and folks out - suspect it was all for Father's Day. Even as we drove the dirt road into Carr and Lindsey, there were lots of disbursed groups camping in the forest. We went straight to Lindsey and found all the campsites taken (although the campground was closed). Talk to a family that was leaving that day and they allowed us to leave our car in their site so we could claim it for that night.
    We spent the day hiking up to Upper Rock Lake. Trail is a moderate climb all following an old 4x4 dirt road. Past Culbertson which has two gorgeous cabins lakeside - they must have key to the gate that allows them to actually drive up the 4x4 road. Short relatively steep climb up to Rock lake. Enjoyed a relaxed lunch but after hanging around awhile were chased out when a group of 3 horse riders decided to take their lunch right next to us. HIked back down to Lindsey, and found most of the campers were now gone - much quieter and nicer. Our site was left for us and we set up our chairs and camp. The site was right at the lakes edge - really beautiful. We read books for awhile and then hiked across the dam to the other side of the lake. Had dinner of canned chili - were in bed when it got dark about 8:30pm. Beautifully quiet night with only one other campsite being used. Warm enough that we left the tent fly open and didn't need any extra blankets.
    Read more