Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Washington

    June 12, 2022 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 22 °C

    A full day on Washington started with two brews and a banana each that we'd bought at the 7 eleven the night before. On our first stop - statues from the Korean War, Dad tried his Cherry Pie. He was in heaven.
    At the Lincoln memorial we went to a cafe, Dad had a coffee and a muffin and I got a cereal bar, this kept us going to the next stop - The White House. Unfortunately Joe Biden didn't invite us in a brew (apparently in the past you could actually go into the building!) but it was well worth a visit anyway.

    After the morning walking tour we decided to stop at the Smithsonian and make the afternoon our own. It was getting toward 1pm so we decided to scout of the food carts for some lunch. Most were the same ones as New York and then we stumbled upon the yellow van that 1. Had their prices visible and 2. Had rice dishes. Dad had the chicken platter and I had beef over rice. Sitting there in a park, with the sun beating down of us was paradise. The food was lovely and I scoffed every mouthful including the hummus!

    After viewing the Capitol building we grabbed a coffee and took the time to make a few phonecalls home before entering the Museum. After a couple of hours in there we started the 30 min walk home. The sun was boiling and the air felt very close. I suggested that we just grab food on the way and have a picnic and chill night in the hotel. Dad went for cold cuts subway and order it all by himself, he's becoming a pro. I went to 7 eleven and got two tacquitos (they were crispy on the outside and soft in the middle and at only $2.49 for 2 I couldn't help thinking that Bob would be getting those a lot if they had them at the local spar) and a fruit pot. We shared a bag of bbq lays and got a few bottle of pop.

    At about 7.30pm dad decided to go back to the shop and get more pop for tomorrow (and to finish his 2 mile recorded walk). He surprised me with a can of beer each. You definitely get your moneys worth with a full pint per bottle! We decided to just share a can and save the other for tomorrow. We had a little cheers and finished our night ready, for tomorrow's adventure.
    Read more