Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Onsen in the morning

    October 16, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    An Onsen is a Japanese hot bath. Due to the volcanic earth, there are thousands of hot springs all over the country. When I went for a shower this morning I discovered our guest house had one 😁.
    Had a chill in the hot water to start the day. The owner gave us some suggestions of what to do for the day including visiting a local spring and an underground river with lights. We went to both.
    The spring you can drink directly from, so I went back to the car to collect the water bottles and filled up. Highlight for me was at the underground tunnel, where some cool strobe tech made the water look like it was flowing back into the tap.
    Found a forest shrine about 10 mins away so walked to the top of the hill. There was a huge window in the rock which you could walk through and see the views beyond.
    Drove away from Mount Aso area down hill in search of blueberry icecream and fresh bread, again both recommended by the owner. Not easy to find from his hand drawn map, but after asking a few locals for directions we found them both. This holiday seems to be about continual food grazing so far.
    Checked into our new accommodation for the evening which has epic views over a deep gorge and out onto hills in the distance.
    Finished the evening off at 8pm with a traditional Japanese dance show.
    Read more