Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    'Gorge'ous walk

    October 17, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    Started the day with a hearty breakfast from the owner of the B and B in Takachiho.
    The local guide leaflet said there was a 5-6 hour walking loop which would take in all the local sites. We needed to finish fairly quickly as our latest checkin time for our accommodation on the coast was 5pm. We went to the to tourist office to get a map of the route and set off. They have made walking trails super easy to follow by attaching blue and pink ribbons to trees every 50m or so.
    This took us past a shrine, along the Takachiho gorge and up into the hills past a tea plantation. Stunning views all around. Started to rain in the last 200m of the 8mile loop and got into the car as it started to properly rain. Good timing! Finished in under 4 hours so plenty of time to get to checkin.
    Drove for about 1.5 hours down to the east coast, across loads of bridges and through tunnels with steep sided valleys everywhere. You can see why the Geography books say 66% is mountainous forest.
    Arrived at the coast with some pumping surf. Posters everywhere saying it is the world series competition at the local beach this week, so guess that makes that our plan for tomorrow.
    Read more