Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Exploring Seoul - South Korea

    November 7, 2019 in South Korea ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Top tip. So usually to navigate around, I use Google maps and Maps.me. Google maps doesn't work well in South Korea. Walking times arnt calculated. Bus routes sometimes come up, and to get trains, you have to select it directly in the google maps settings.
    However, maps.me does work for underground and walking. So a combination of the two will get you through fine.
    We took an underground to a palace at the north end of town. Beautiful place with old buildings and ponds.
    We timed it to see the changing of the guard.
    Then walked south past 2 statues, down the stream lined with lanterns, to the tourist office. This was a find in itself. You can get free food vouchers for the local market, plus if you get a stamp from every floor in the building they gave you a free bus card. Win. Plus free booze tasting on the 3rd floor. Double win.
    From there walked through parts of the old town, to a viewing point to watch sunset. On to try and redeem our vouchers, but the vouchers were only from 11am till 3pm. Noooooo! Had this mozzarella chicken and vegetables thing, which looked great, but was way too spicy and not that great.
    I wanted to go up the sky tower, but Hannah wasnt keen. Plus my phone died, so Hannah was left in charge of navigation. Aagggh panic.
    She read somewhere about the universe it area being lively, so went with no plan of anything to do, just to turn up and see. Not much going on. But lots of bars and restaurants. Stopped in at a bbq place for kebabs. They had this auto rotating device which perfectly cooked lamb and shrimp. Another thing I want for home.
    We also tried the South Korean sake equivalent. Got us both quite tipsy quite quickly!
    Bed time.
    Read more