Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 80

    Waiheke Island - wine tour

    December 18, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌬 18 °C

    Got up to more rain. Decided to stay at the same campsite again so managed to leave the van there whilst we headed off on the bus to Auckland and the ferry onto Waiheke Island. Super windy day, but the fast cat was heading at about 30 knots, wind straight behind so it felt completely still air at the back watching Auckland go by.
    Landed on Waiheke and boarded our hop on hop off vineyard tour bus. Today was going to be a day of wine tasting.
    We visited:
    Wild - 5 for $15. 6/10
    Stonyridge 3 for $15. 4/10
    Te Motu - 5 glasses. 7/10 And accidentally purchased 2 bottles, as they said tasting fees would be waived. I thought he meant both tasting fees (20 each). Unfortunately not, so ended up spending more than we should have on 2 bottles of tasty wine. Christmas prezzies.
    Alibi brewing - selection of beers and ciders. 6.5/10
    Batch - 3, plus a mammoth sized pavlova plus ice cream for $30. 7/10
    Couldn't even finish the pavlova it was so huge.
    By this time everything was closing down, so no more tasting.
    Bussed back to the main town and walked to our backpacker lodge. Lots of drunk 18 year olds around. We couldn't be bothered to chat to or open any of our bottles, so chilled out in the comfy room.
    Read more