Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 162

    Cradle mountain

    March 9, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Arrived at Cradle mountain visitor center and took the shuttle to the start of the overland track. Meant to take 8 to 9 hours, but by the time we got there, we needed to finish within 7.5 hours in order to get down in time for the last bus.
    Nice and steady first 2 hours, until we got to the summit track. A very steep rocky scramble. A few sketchy bits requiring a bit of the climbing knowledge to come back. Certainly would not want to slip. Got to the top with glorious views of the countryside all around. Took it all in whilst having some lunch. The way down was just as tricky, with the knees feeling pretty tired by the time we got to the face track. This went just below the main rocks of the peak with views over dove lake.
    Made it to a sign saying it was 2 hours back to the pickup point and we only had 1.45 to get there before the bus left.
    A bit of jogging to ensure we got there and made it with plenty of time to spare. No need to worry after all.
    Made our way south west for 2 hours to Strahan. Where we would be catching a boat cruise from in the morning.
    Read more