Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 163

    Gordon river and Sarah Island boat tour.

    March 10, 2020, Indian Ocean ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Last bit of my birthday prezzie was Hannah treating us to a boat cruise.
    Got up at 7 to get to the dock. Managed to sneak some last min discounted window tickets, setting off in only 10 mins time. Whooo.
    Glassy smooth fast catamaran ride up the river with a brief stop off to look round the world heritage Woodlands.
    Had a tour around Sarah island, a very nasty place back in the day, where second offending convicts were sent to do hard labour, including boat building.
    Back at the port we saw a saw mill in action and some lovely bits of Huon pine slabs which would make a fantastic table, only 2000 dollars a pop....
    Driving East towards Lake St Clair we saw some old mining towns with some impressive coloured landscapes.

    So there we were... driving along, when suddenly a huge metal plate with a number plate detached from a trailer passing in the opposite direction. Did a very quick jerk to the left but it still skimmed the side of the van. Only a 15cm scratch, but could have been way worse, as it had bounced pretty damm high.
    The other car didnt stop, so I retrieved the number plate from the road and went onwards. Knowing lots of insurance based faff was to come. 😫

    Stopped in a nice wood pub for the evening, where they let you stay in the car park if you have a pint. We had a curry.
    Read more