Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Melk

    October 26, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    Sailed along the Wanchau Valley to Melk. The hills are not as steep but otherwise similar scenery to our journey along the Rhine Gorge. At intervals, the land levels out allowing the establishment of a series of villages and small towns. The stop at Melk is for a visit to the Abbey overlooking the town. The abbey was originally built starting in around 890 as a palace, but was later gifted to the Benedictine monks. There are around 20 monks today still at the Abbey.
    The Abbey and grounds are huge.We had a guided tour around the part of the interior considered a museum with rooms dating from various periods with decor ranging from opulent to simple. The grandeur of the building was not for the benefit of the monks, but its proximity to Vienna meant regular visits from Austrian royalty.The collection of artefacts are gifts from their visits. Whilst looking grand, most of the items are gold plated rather than solid gold. The oldest artefact on display was an exquisitely carved ivory and walrus tusk being a small portable altar dating back around 1000 years. The other notable features are the 2 libraries with the main one containing just under 10000 ancient books.However, on the floors below there is the modern library taking latest additions. The tour guide called the church “heaven on earth”. The architect was Italian and it has a certain old theatrical design with boxes high up on the knave walls, but the use of gold (plate) on almost every surface gives a very munificent feel. Suggest you google Melk Abbey to see pictures of the interior. We decided to walk back ( back is downhill) through the town and the park by the river.
    Read more