Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 253

    6. The Isle of Portland

    June 21, 2021 in England ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    The Isle of Portland is a tied island linked to the mainland by a barrier beach (Chesil Beach); traffic moves between the two via a bridge over the Fleet Lagoon. Portland is split into two geological areas; Underhill, a steep escarpment of Portland Sand in the north, and Tophill, a shallow angle decline of Portland Stone to sea level at Portland Bill.

    We stop off at the Tout Quarry Nature Reserve and Quarry Park. It is an abandoned 40 acre stone quarry park with stunning views of Chesil Beach and Portland Harbour and also many sculptures made on the Portland stone blocks (including Anthony Gormley's "Still Falling)); Portland stone has been used for the construction of many famous buildings, including St Paul's Cathedral.

    Portland Bill is a narrow promontory where there have been many shipwrecks over the centuries; it is an important way point for coastal traffic and there have been lighthouses here since 1716 - the current lighthouse dates from 1906. Portland Bill is a popular tourist destination.

    We visit Portland Castle next; grandly named, it is a fan shaped artillery fort built by Henry VIII as part of his defence programme against France and the Holy Roman Empire.
    Read more