Satélite
Exibir no mapa
  • The Cambs Dykes 3 - Devil's Dyke

    20 de agosto de 2021, Inglaterra ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Devil's Dyke runs in an almost straight line from Woodditton (just south of Newmarket) to Reach (north-west of Newmarket); it is over 7 miles (11 km) long and is the largest of the series of the four ancient Cambridgeshire dykes - in some places the bank measures 9 metres (30 ft) high and 36.5 metres (120 ft) across.  When it was created, Devil's Dyke completely blocked a narrow land corridor between the southern edge of a region of water-logged marsh (now known as The Fens) in the north-west and dense woodlands in the south, so making circumvention difficult and forming an effective defensive barrier for the lands to the east.  

    We start our walk at the southern access point of Devil's Dyke at Woodditton, passing the water tower; the Dyke initially passes through the woods of a private estate. The embankment is very high in parts here and is thickly enclosed by scrub and bushes. After a short while, we cross a minor road and then the B1061 before negotiating the steps down to the gap across the Cambridge to Newmarket railway line. 

    After crossing this, Devil's Dyke changes in character and becomes much more open, with chalk loving flowers along this stretch.  There are views of a links golf course before we enter the domain of horse racing, as the Dyke cuts between Newmarket's two famous courses - the Rowley Mile, with its Millennium Grandstand, and the July Course.

    Soon we reach, and cross, the A14 and have views of the surrounding flat farmland before reaching the B1102 to Burwell.  At last we arrive at the northern access point of the Devil's Dyke, close to the village of Reach, and the end of this great walk.

    There is a local Morris dancing side that is named after Devil's Dyke - follow this link to read more about them (us!).... devilsdykemm.org.uk
    Leia mais