Satellit
Vis på kort
  • Part 5; Littleport to Downham

    6. september 2021, England ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    After leaving Littleport railway station, we follow the road to reach the roundabout with the A10(T) and re-join the right (eastern) side of the Great River Ouse flood-bank; the walk is sandwiched between the two for over 3 miles before we reach Brandon Creek (it is both hot and a little noisy at times, but there are good views of boats on the river).  Brandon Creek is where the River Little Ouse joins the Great Ouse and for much of the its length it defines the boundary between Norfolk and Suffolk; indeed, after crossing the bridge, one is in Norfolk!  There is a short walk along a minor road before we join the flood-bank; there are more pleasant views on the almost 3 mile stretch to the small, but growing, village of Ten Mile Bank.  Further on, we reach a railway bridge (for the Kings Lynn to Cambridge and London line) and then follow the flood-bank to reach Denver Sluice.

    First built in 1651, Denver Sluice was constructed to protect the South Level fens from flooding by providing a secure point for discharge of flood water and by preventing tidal flooding of the fens. Fifty years ago, this original function of Denver Sluice was taken over by the Flood Relief Channel, with the A G Wright Flood Relief Channel Sluice at the Denver end of the channel and the Tail Sluice at the other, near King’s Lynn. The main purpose of the original Denver Sluice itelf now is to prevent the build up of silt in the Tidal River Great Ouse. 

    It was fascinating to visit this before heading further up river to reach Downham Market (aka Downham) and the end of this leg of the Fen Rivers Way.
    Læs mere