Satellite
Show on map
  • Downham Market

    September 6, 2021 in England ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Downham Market is situated on a terrace overlooking the Great Ouse and was an important market centre for the surrounding agricultural area, as it incorporated a famous horse fair and weekly livestock and butter markets; the Town Hall was used as the Corn Exchange.  With the coming of the railway there was a rapid industrial and residential development into Downham Market; a steam mill was built next to the railway and this is now run by Heygates, one of the 4 main flour suppliers in the UK.

    At the southern end of the town centre is a decorative town sign depicting the crown and arrows of St Edmund with horses to show the importance of the horse fairs in the town's history.  At the Market Square, we see the Victorian Clock Tower and other old buildings, including the Town Hall and the Crown Coaching Inn.  Behind the Square is the medieval Parish Church of St Edmund, built of local carrstone, sited on the crest of a hill with fine views of the town and the fenland landscape beyond.  Walking back down the High Street we pass Castle Hotel (recently closed and scheduled to become flats), with its distinctive parapet, and then along Station Road we see the 18th-century Dial House (once a private school for gentlemen in the 1860s but now a bed and breakfast), with its sundial painted high on the wall.  We soon reach the Victorian era Downham Market railway station, also built of carrstone with pale brick dressings, and the old signal box; both are now Grade II listed buildings.  Next to the station is the distinctive looking Heygates Flour Mill, which is visible for miles around.  A short, but interesting, visit to the town.
    Read more