Satellite
Show on map
  • King's Lynn

    October 8, 2021 in England ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    King's Lynn, known until 1537 and the dissolution of the monasteries as Bishop's Lynn, is a port and market town in Norfolk.  It was one of England’s most important ports from as early as the 12th century, and the Hanseatic League - a powerful German trading organisation made up of merchants from North Germany and neighbouring countries around the Baltic Sea - contributed greatly to this prosperity; there are still many historic buildings, merchants' houses etc to see today.

    This "Heritage Trail" walk starts at Quayside, where there is Marriott's Warehouse (a 16th century warehouse that is now a restaurant) and close by is Hanse House (the only surviving Hanseatic business HQ in England and dating from 1475).  Just round the corner is the Saturday Market Place which is surrounded by King's Lynn Minster, formerly St Margaret’s Church and designated as a Minster Church in 2011 by the Bishop of Norwich, and the Town Hall and Trinity Guildhall.  Back to the quay, it is a short walk to the Grade I listed and iconic Custom House and from there, walking up King Street, we pass St George's Guildhall, the largest surviving 15th century guildhall in England, to reach the huge Tuesday Market Place, a beautiful square now used as a car parking area.  

    The trail continues past St Nicholas' Chapel - unfortunately closed - and a Fisherfolk museum before heading back down through the modern town to reach Tower Gardens.  These contain Greyfriars Tower, the last surviving significant part of a 13th century priory; it survived the Reformation because it was an essential seamark for ships.  Adjacent to Tower Gardens are The Walks, a lovely walking area where the Red Mount Chapel can be found; this was a wayside chapel for pilgrims heading to the shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham - it is one of only two octagonal chapels in Europe.  

    It has been a good visit to an interesting town.
    Read more