Спутник
Показать на карте
  • Harlton Circular

    12 февраля 2023 г., Англия

    Harlton is a small village 5 miles southwest of Cambridge, just off the A603.  We pass an attractive church, the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and the public house; the Hare and Hounds is a community owned thatched village pub that is popular in the area - so much so that the Devils Dyke Morris Men there during the Summer.

    We leave the village and walk up a ridge to Harlton Clunch pit; clunch is the traditional local term for a hardened chalk and there is a cluster of clunch pits dug into the sides of the low chalk ridges bordering the upper Cam valley and along the Fen edge towards the Suffolk border.  The village was an important source of this building material for many centuries, and clunch was sourced from here to build Cambridge Castle in 1295; the pit is now a wooded recreational area.  

    We leave the clunch pit and join an ancient track, the Mare Way, which runs along a raised ridge dividing it from Barrington.  There are good views of the Barrington Chalk Pit; this is now a disused quarry area that was originally worked for chalk and clay for cement production.  It is a geological Site of Special Scientific Interest as it is the only surviving exposure of the Cretaceous Cambridge Greensand; the quarry is currently being utilised for landfill and rehabilitation and for disposal of spoil transported by rail from High Speed 2 construction sites.  

    After a while, we turn left and head south in the direction of Barrington and enjoy views of the quarry area as we reach Wilsmere Down Farm.  We carry on into Barrington and then double back north on another footpath, eventually turning on to the Whole Way. After a while, we turn right on to the Mare Way again and then left towards Limes Farm and Harlton. 
    Читать далее