Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Negombo 1; Old Town, Market and Beach

    March 26, 2023 in Sri Lanka ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    We arrived at Colombo Airport after our flight from London and met our entire Explore Travel group (9 total) before transferring to our hotel in Negombo.

    Negombo is a popular start or finish place for tourists/travellers due to its proximity to the airport. It is a large fishing town with reminders of its colonial post; Portuguese, Dutch, and British Empire; in fact, we crossed the Dutch Canal on our way to town.

    After a short break, we (Helen and I) set out for a walk from the hotel to the Old Town. We see St Sebastian's Church, which is based on Reins Cathedral. Many local people in Negombo are Roman Catholic due to the activity of missionaries in the past. After passing a Hindu Temple, we visit St Mary's Church (also RC), and from here, we proceed to the vegetable market nearby.

    On the other side of the market, we reach the beach and walk back to the hotel; there are good views of local housing, distinctive fishing boats en route.

    After a rest, we meet up with the group and tour leader at our hotel rooftop bar for dinner and trip discussion.
    Read more