Uydu
Haritada göster
  • Wharfedale; The Strid and Bolton Priory

    16 Ağustos 2023, İngiltere ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    This is Walk 21 in our booklet of "Yorkshire Dales Outstanding Circular Walks," and we start at Barden Bridge (free parking).

    We follow the footpath to a turreted bridge, a Victorian aqueduct, and join the Dales Way through Strid Woods, renowned for its flora and fauna. We reach a narrowing section of the River Wharfe where the fast flowing water is both deep and dangerous - The Strid. We carry on along the path past the Cavendish Pavilion and the Cavendish Memorial Fountain. We head down to Bolton Priory, which is part of the village and parish of Bolton Abbey on the Bolton Estate.

    Bolton Priory was founded in 1154 and dissolved in 1539, one of the last to fall in Henry VIII's Dissolution of the Monasteries; altough most of the Priory buildings are now ruins, part still survives and is used as the local church. We then join the road and double back a short way past the Victorian Bolton and walk up the hill through fields and a small forest to reach Moorland. There are good views as we reach Middle Hare Head. From here, it is down through the heather to reach a road, which we follow downhill to Barden Tower; this was used as a hunting lodge by the Clifford family (the original owners of Skipton Castle), but was extended in the 15th century. The ruins survive and are also part of the Bolton Estate.

    It has been another excellent day out, covering over 10 miles in great walking conditions.
    Okumaya devam et