Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31–32

    En route to Buenos Aires

    December 7, 2023 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    The El Condor bus leaves on time, and we have big single seats at the back of the top of the bus (downstairs is premium). It is National Route 3 for most of the way.

    It's scrubland again as we head north and to Rio Negro province; here, armed police check our passports. A little later, just as we have eaten our rolls, the bus stops at a small town, at Resto lo de Jose for food!

    It's a long night, and we are all herded off the bus at 4:30 am at Bahia Blanca bus station while the bus goes somewhere; to refuel and/or change crew. We are in Buenos Aires province now, heading north east, and the scenery is more rural. It is very misty and foggy at 6 am, but this clears as the sun rises. From 7am onwards, it is like driving in the English countryside in Springtime - trees, cows, and fields. Similar scenery continues up to Azul and beyond, but it starts to get a bit waterlogged and marshy as we head towards Las Flores and beyond. Work is happening on parts of Route 3, which means diversions onto other roads - and a later arrival in BA?

    Small towns and factories appear as we reach the outskirts of the capital of Argentina. Not surprisingly, there is lots of traffic as we get over the ring road and approach the first bus station the bus stops at (not ours). It's a big city, and it takes us ages to get to our destination, the third bus station in the Retiro district of the city centre, due to heavy traffic; then we set off to find our hostel for the next 5 nights!

    We find it and go out for beers and a meal... The restaurant is empty because it is early, but the food is excellent (recommended by the hostel).
    Read more