Satellite
Show on map
  • Royal Sandringham; House and Garden

    April 17 in England ⋅ ⛅ 7 °C

    Sandringham House is a royal residence of King Charles II, and usually used by Royalty in the winter; it was originally a large manor house in the Elizabethan era and was rebuilt in the Jacobean style between 1870 and 1900. It is the home of the Royal Stud and has excellent shooting on the grounds.

    We visit inside the house, where there are excellent guides to describe the various rooms downsrairs that are open to the public; these include the saloon, drawing rooms, dining room, and no photographs are permitted. We also see a collection of 26 innovative garments and accessories, made using plant waste taken from Royal Gardens, including Highgrove and Sandringham, as part of an ongoing collaboration between VIN + OMI and His Majesty.

    Outside, we visit The Old Stables Courtyard and former Coach House, where there is a small museum showing old Royal Cars and the Sandringham Fire Engine (now no longer used). We walk around the Sandringham Gardens via the stream, Lower Lake, Upper Lake, Topiary Garden, and North Garden before visiting St Mary Magdalene Church; this is used by the Royal Family when in residence. After lunch, we follow the 3 mile Nature Trail walk around the Royal Parkland.

    It has been a really interesting visit.
    Read more