Satellite
Show on map
  • Old Hunstanton and Ringstead

    April 15 in England ⋅ 🌬 8 °C

    It started off very windy and wet today but perked up before midday when we went out.

    Old Hunstanton is a quiet, small village compared to what is known locally as "New" Hunstanton. We walk around the village and see many very expensive houses that have been built or are being built. Hunstanton Golf Course is here, and we walk along a footpath, skirting the edge of the links course and following the course of the River Hun, to the next village, which is Holme-next-the-Sea This is the meeting point for the Peddars Way and the Norfolk Coastal Path; we follow the Peddars Way as far as Ringstead. This is a small village, also known as Great Ringstead, to distinguish it from the nearby deserted medieval village of Little Ringstead, aka Barret Ringstead.

    We walk across the attractive Ringstead Downs, a chalk grassland nature reserve on the edge of the L 'Estrange family estate where Hunstanton Hall, the original family home, is situated; as we head back up to Old Hunstanton, we see the ruins of the Chapel of St Andrew at what was Little Ringstead.

    It's been 8.4 miles and a good walk.
    Read more