Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Grand Canyon

    March 30 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 5 °C

    I managed to reserve only one night in the campsite. Luckily Mather Campground gives around 20 spots on first come first serve basis. The lady recommended me to come to their office already around 7:30 in the morning to secure my spot as people lines up from 6 already 🙈.

    I arrived 7:15 and there were already few people waiting. Office opens at 8 so we still had plenty of time 🥲😆. Around 7:30 one guy with same RV as we have showed up because he is departing earlier and can offer one spot for 1 night. I directly talked to him and we got a spot for free 😎.

    After breakfast and reparking the car we took shuttle bus to the visitor center and start walking along the rim. There are several km of well maintained trails along the Grand Canyon and also 3 different shuttle lines driving around. We walked all the way from Mather viewpoint till the Grand Canyon Village. It took us around 2 hours and once we passed the visitor center the path got quite empty. Unfortunately the weather was not completely in our favor, it was cold and windy and for tonight they predicted a snowstorm 😂.

    In Grand Canyon Village we boarded the red bus line going to Hermit Trail. This path is very popular for cycling but due to weather we decided to take a bus instead. Red bus line has in total 9 stops and you can hop on and hop off all the time. We decided to combine some viewpoints and walk around. The most I liked the walk between Powell, Hopi & Mohave Point, very scenic 2km long walk 😍.

    After lot of walking we ordered hot chocolate and returned to our camper quite early. It was nice and cold day here in Grand Canyon.
    Read more