Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Route 66 & Hoover Dam

    March 31 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    We woke up in winter wonderland 🥶😂 everywhere was a lot of snow and we were wondering how the people in tents survived the night. After breakfast and coffee we drove quickly to the viewpoint to have a look on Grand Canyon covered in snow. It was very foggy and the visibility was poor. To our surprise only the top of the canyon was covered by snow ❄️.

    Today we had a lot of kilometers to drive… straight way to Las Vegas takes more then 4 hours and covers the distance of 270 miles which is I think more then 400km (crazy that people do that as a day trip from Vegas).

    To make the drive more enjoyable we planned to stop several times and finish our day by lake Mead which is only 30 minutes drive from Vegas. 1 hours drive south from Grand Canyon we passed city Williams one of the important stops on the historical Route 66 connecting Los Angeles to Chicago and covering the total distance of 2500 miles / 4000km. Along the Route 66 there are plenty of ghost towns and retro restaurants, old motels and vintage shops. Apart from Williams we made a quick stop in Seligman & Kingman. In Kingman we found a great restaurant but unfortunately due to Easter Holidays the restaurant was shut down 🥲.

    Finally approaching lake Mead we decided to make a small detour to Hoover Dam which we passed by anyway. Hoover Dam is very huge and impressive construction built on lake Mead and river Colorado. The entrance to the Hoover Dam felt like entrance to the military base ~ strong controls, we needed to get out of the car, open the bathroom and interior of the car 🤣. Once there we were shocked by the amount of people and traffic. The site is huge and you can even join organized tours. There is also an option to walk on the highway bridge to see the Hoover Dam from above. It was definitely impressive and nice visit and if you have spare time it’s worth to stop for hour.

    After very short drive we finally arrived in our beautiful campsite with the views of lake Mead - Boulder Beach Campground.
    Read more