Satellite
  • Day 11

    Goodbye Samui

    May 26, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    On our last day on Koh Samui how could we do anything but return for one more meal with Mama Tim? As on our two previous visits there was no menu offered, but Mama Tim informed us she had soup available, so, of course, we ordered a bowl along with a plate of Pad Thai. The noodle soup was a vegan version of Tom Yum filled with noodles, vegan fish balls and tofu. The Thai flavours were all there in perfect balance and the spice level was enough to satisfy my desire for some heat, but mild enough that Brenda could also enjoy it. The Pad Thai was good, although I have had better. Mama Tim even admitted it's not her number one dish.

    While we were eating, the skies opened and, uncharacteristically, the rain persisted for about two hours. Normally these downpours last less than half an hour yet this one just kept on coming. Torrents of water were rushing down the street in front of the restaurant and, faced with a two kilometer walk back to our hotel, we waited around for the rain to subside. In the meantime Mama Tim chatted with us, gave us tea and coffee and basically made us feel like family.

    When the rain had let up enough for us to leave, Mama Tim offered to drive us back to our hotel. We declined her generous offer, said our goodbyes and promised to visit her again the next time we come to Samui.

    Oh yeah, for the record, our bill for a great meal and a wonderful afternoon with this delightful woman was 120฿.
    Read more