Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 144

    Oslo

    August 29, 2017 in Norway ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Sorry guys, I am very delayed here so will try to catch up!

    We only had one full day in Norways capital. Admittedly I was completely under prepared and hadn’t researched anything to do..

    Sunday we stocked up at the supermarket as were heading West toward Norway.. notorious for being hugely expensive. Our stopover was next to a lake in Varmskog in central Sweden. Staying in little cabins, with tiny doors, we had a relaxed evening playing scattegories.

    On arrival the evening before heading into the city, we were fed by our host a Norwegian dinner. It consisted of cauliflower soup to start and salmon for main and was really delicious.

    Our first destination in Oslo was the Holmenkollen Ski Jump museum. Nestled underneath the Ski Jump, the museum tells of the history of skiing in Norway and in general and has some cool interactive features including a wind machine that you stick your face in and switch from breeze to storm..

    There is a viewing platform from the top of the jump providing a moody view of the city.  There is also a ball pool .. not sure it was intended for adults but we slid in ..Stuart popping a ball on the way in :)

    There was also a zip wire that looked immense, but at £60 a pop, we decided against it! We were definitely beginning to discover how expensive Norway is!

    Heading back into the city, we got stuck in a signal fault and had to leave the subway. We ended up having to walk quite a way before we finally found some lunch at about 3pm.

    Good timing meant that a former colleague was holidaying in Oslo. She, like me, is a lawyer who is looking for a career change. Was great to catch up over beers opposite the Opera House and ended with promises to communicate any lightbulb moments about career choices!

    The day ended with our first escape room. Hannah and Luke had done one of these before and - for any of you who haven’t like us - you get locked in a set of rooms with the aim of solving puzzles/clues to escape. We were in a mafia setting and worked well as a team to get out within the hour.

    We then headed back to the apartment to sleep and prepare for a long drive west the next day.
    Read more