Satellite
  • Day 163

    Roadtrip off to a Rocky Start

    May 28, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 34 °C

    We picked up another camper van to kick off our US roadtrip, this time one where we can stand up in! Unfortunately we are off to a rocky start, and not because we made it to the Mountains, James has tested positive for COVID. We made it to the first campsite just north of Joshua Tree National Park and after a rough night his symptoms got a little worse.

    The next day it was very warm in the desert, due to hit 40° so we ditched our plan to do a hike in the national park, cancelled our next nights campsites and headed to a hotel for some Aircon. We made it to a border town called Laughlin on the Colorado River, one side is Arizona, the other Nevada, one side is gaudy casinos, the other fast food and parking lots, classic America. The most striking thing about this bit of river is the amount of jet ski they are driving around! It is crazy!! We even saw on the road, a car towing 4jetskis, 2 adult ones and 2 kids ones! As Armelle doesn't have any symptoms she discovered this little town by doing life admin like...laundry! The nearest laundromat was a cross the river so we spent a few hours in two different states! This is the further apart we've been since we left London!

    2 nights later and symptoms are starting to look a little better so we headed to another hotel in a Grand Canyon gateway town so hopefully we can get out and see something of this national park. Just 3 and a half hours drive up the road and the weather has changed a bit, it's due to hit -2° tonight 🥶. The desert is a cruel mistress.
    Read more