Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Lunch and Dark Cave by Simi

    July 27, 2023 in Vietnam ⋅ ☁️ 35 °C

    We left Paradise cave to head to the Dark cave. We had a large lunch platter to share which looked great but in all honesty tasted only ok!

    It was clear from the off set that this cave visit was going to be a different type of adventure.., for a start we had to go just wearing our swimmers and a life jacket they had provided only and no phones. Luckily we had the go pro so could take a few piccies on that.

    At Paradise cave we walked around a boardwalk and simply admired the spectacular stalactites and stalagmites whereas at the Dark Cave, you are on an adventure but the cave time is minimal! But actually it kept our dog tired family ( following the over night train journey and the early sunrise and tai chi session on the boat the day before ) enthralled and less ratty so was good timing for us!

    The Dark Cave incorporates exploring a cave with some water adventure activities, which appeals to a wide audience especially our children but interestingly a load of Vietnamese who could not swim too. There was huge lack of health and safety in the adventure park and whilst I felt confident of what we could do, I was very nervous for the non swimming brigade who seemed very happy that the life jackets were their super hero jackets. I saw so many people catapulted around, flung hard onto parts of bodies that caused pain and a lot of tears and screaming - it just needs to be safer.

    Nevertheless, zip-lining, kayaking, swimming in crystal waters, attempting an over-water adventure course and throwing mud at your family
    in a pitch-black cavern remains a fun way to experience a cave. Dark Cave was not discovered until 1990, but the locals and tourists haven’t wasted any time making it one of the most visited caves within the park and the country. There are no lights within this cave and that is where it got its name.
    The adventure started with the longest zip wire in Vietnam ( even if there is no safety briefing, thankfully there were harnesses!) and then a plunge into the cool Chay River as we swum up to the entrance of the infamous Dark cave.

    We climbed up a ladder and
    donned our hard hats with head lamps and followed our guide bare footed. I have to say the entrance to the cave is pretty awesome. It’s huge and because of the darkness., it’s just hugely
    impressive. We were also the only people in there for a while as we checked out fossils, trudged through the waters and tested our sensitivities of our feet as we stepped over sand and rock. It was eerily quiet too which just added to the atmosphere.

    Our guide led us through tiny crevasses where we had to scramble over sandy rises to where we took a mud bath. It’s meant to be good for the skin so we all lathered it on and hoped to benefit from the claims ! Let’s see if the photos show the new natural glow!

    Unsurprisingly it did get chilly in these waters and after our “spa” treatment we retraced our steps back to the cave entrance to head to the water adventure park.
    Read more