Satellite
  • Day 139

    Short stop in Honduras #1

    January 24, 2020 in Honduras ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    What a great start into the day!! We woke up watching the sunrise from our sleeping bags. Ranja, the husky living at the mirador and sleeping next to us, enjoyed it as well 😉 we had breakfast (including fresh coffee they sold us) and took off for the downhill ride.
    The ride was as bad as expected, but we made it. 1.5 hours for less than 10km - DOWNHILL! We had to go really slow, sometimes had to push the bike or even stop and wait for the breaks to cool down.
    Once back on the main road, we headed to the border of Honduras. We had a quick stop for a second breakfast along the road, yummy chicken with rice and cheese. At the border, we met a Canadian cyclist, who is on the same route as us, just riding from South to North.
    Border crossing was relatively fast, some questions about our itinery and jobs, 3$ migration fee and here we are in country number 7.
    People here seem to be very friendly and outgoing, cheering, waving, greetings everywhere we pass. We stopped to get something to drink and people started chatting to us. All of them seem to be called Jose and all of them have worked in the US at some stage.
    In Nacaome, we stopped at the market to buy some food for dinner. The kids were fun, asked lots of questions and helped us to find water gallons to fill up our bottles. A guy stopped and invited us to stay at his home. He even showed is his place and was a little sad when we told him that we already had a host for the night.
    We cycled for another 5km until we reached Juan Pablo's house. After dinner, he took us to some thermal pools where we tried SalvaVida, the beer in Honduras. Not bad at all... We enjoyed the time discussing cultures, politics and music in a mix of Spanish, English and German (yes, he speaks a little German as well) and went to bed really tired.
    Read more